Hi! This is my first How To post! Hope you guys find this post helpful!
So what is Kimbap? – It is a Korean dish. Basically, a Korean version of Sushi! It’s one of my favorite Korean dishes. It was once a scarce food for me because it’s quite hard to find here in Singapore and it’s a little pricey for a whole roll. Luckily, one of my Korean friends taught me and my friends how to make it (Hi, Ho Yong!) and it’s quite simple to prepare but it’s a little tedious though (because of all the preps!).
Just like sushi, you can choose what ingredients to use. I chose to make the traditional Kimbap.
Some of the things you’ll need are as follows:
Ingredients and Materials Needed:
(Ingredients used is good for 4 – 5 people – depending how much you decide to eat. Haha.)
- 6 and 1/2 cups of sushi rice
- Sliced Ham (400 grams – thick slices (1 and 1/2 cm thick) or you can get the square shaped ham from a Korean Mart)
- Sliced Fish Cake (From any Korean Mart)
- 2 pieces of Carrot
- 2 pieces of Cucumber
- Pickled Radish (From any Korean Mart – my favorite ingredient!)
- Sesame Oil (The sesame oil brand above is a good brand!)
- 7 Eggs (To scramble and fry then slice!)
- Salt (To taste)
- Sesame Seeds
- A pack of Dried Seaweed (Nori)
- Bamboo Sushi Roller
The most tedious part of making Kimbap is just basically slicing everything into long strips.. Before I get ahead of myself…
Here’s what you have to do:
1. Cook the sushi rice and add salt, sesame oil and seeds! (To taste! – I usually add around 4 tablespoons of sesame oil and seeds & 1 and a half teaspoons of salt) Tip: It’s better to mix the salt, sesame oil and sesame seeds with your hands, so that it mixes properly. Also, try to knead the rice once in a while so that it becomes a little stickier. It helps the Kimbap set better later. – Use plastic gloves.)
2. Slice the following ingredients to long strips: ham, carrots, cucumber and scrambled eggs.
3. Stir fry carrots and cucumber with a dash of salt.
3. Fry Korean fish cakes and slice them to long strips too.
Okay! Now that you’re done with all the slicing and frying, it’s time to get to the fun part!
1. Lay your bamboo sushi roller and seaweed sheet, spread some sesame oil on the seaweed sheet & spread the rice on the seaweed sheet as well.
2. Add the ingredients.
3. Roll it (Make sure to kind of squeeze the roll and tuck the ingredients properly!) 🙂
4. Just keep rolling.
6. Yay! That’s it!
Thank you for reading this post! Hope you guys found it useful!
Comment below if you guys tried it and hopefully it was a success or if you have any questions! 🙂
Till next time! 🙂
Note: There might be extra ingredients afterwards (depending how much you place on each roll)!